11/24/2014

Falling in love again...

.. with succulents.
They amazed me as a child, though I killed them all. I was way too impatient about growth and too eager for watering. So they either rot or roasted in full sun all day.
Succulents are wonderful plants with all their striking shapes and forms and colors. They can be found all around the planet, even in surprising places like rain forests and cold climates. They can store water in their fleshy leaves or thick stems. Some of them don't even look succulent-ish. Did you know the ZZ plant, the Sansevieria or a Ponytail plant are actually succulents? Many of them are easy to grow as houseplants, even indoors. They are happy to bathe in the sun during summer months and surprise you with beautiful flowers or leaf colors. They don't mind the heating and dry air in your home, won't be sad if you forget to water them or go away for a longer vacation.
Basically the only thing that kills them for sure is too much water and cold. Therefore succulents are perfect for Hydro! How can this be? They don't like their roots soaking in water but moist air around them is good indeed. In a semi-hydro system you can control the water levels better than with traditional potting media.
Most of them don't need fertilizing or just a little, so a very diluted solution will do.
The little group of these fleshy plants I have are in soil at the moment because I need to locate a source for clay balls. As soon as I can put my hands on a bag of hydroton I'll repot them. Have to admit, I find it extremely hard to water them in their tiny pots and the soil looks very dry and hard almost all the time :(
I won't be able to provide artificial light for them but they got the best possible spot on the Western window sill. They are tiny, but the more they grow, the prouder the grower is, eh? :)
I try do give a short description of the species I grow along with some advice about the care they need in the PlantID section. If you feel like reading more about succulents, here is a link for Wikipedia. 
Cotyledon tomentosa - Bear's paw




No comments:

Post a Comment